Why I care about the poor …. I remind them that God loves them
Let us not be presumptuous to think that the poor will believe that God loves them if we (the more affluent Christians) do not love them. That is why they often do not love themselves.
When we turn our backs on the poor, what message about God are we sending them?
When the poor live in squalor and see rich Christians living in luxury, they think that God has forgotten them, but when you and I share with them, then they are reminded that God loves them.
A self-righteous member of a church once indignantly asked the pastor "If those people that are poor have accepted Jesus, why are they still poor?" the pastor thought for a moment and replied "Because you who are rich and have accepted Jesus are still rich".
James 2:14 – 16
14. What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don't show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? 15. Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, 16. And you say, "Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well" – but then you don't give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?
1 Timothy 6:17-19
17. Teach those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which is so unreliable. Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.
18. Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and generous to those in need, always being ready to share with others.
19. By doing this they will be storing up their treasure as a good foundation for the future so that they may experience true life.
People desperately need to be reminded that God loves them. When you help someone in need you are acting as God's agent, bringing light where there is darkness.
Matthew 5:13 – 16
13. "You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavour? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless."
14. "You are the light of the world – like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.
15. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.
16.In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."